Chef Tom Kitchin with Rosamund & Bill de la Hey at the launch of our new Deli & Home shop.
Click on this link to view a short film about the shop made by The Guardian & National Book Tokens http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/video/2012/sep/10/best-bookshops-literary-trips-scottish-borders
Based in the beautiful Scottish Borders village of St Boswells (just off the A68), we are passionate about books, coffee and the pleasure of shopping for beautiful things. Whether you are based locally, visiting the area on holiday or just passing through on the way to Edinburgh or Newcastle, there are lots of reasons to visit. The bookshop is the heart of what we do, with over 6,500 titles in stock (and space for many more as we grow). We believe that reading should start from the earliest possible age, so our children’s section is particularly important to the shop, from Edward Ardizzone to Harry Potter. That said, we cater for readers of all ages and tastes, and if you can’t find what you’re looking for we can order it from a range of over 750,000 titles often for next day delivery.
"A bookshop so perfect you might have dreamt it." Maggie O'Farrell
“Among the attractions of this airy artistic venue, which include cupcakes and rustic gifts, is its emphasis on children’s books, which is its special niche, and an excellent reason for a detour off the A68.” The Herald
Follow us on twitter: @mainstreethare
The Bookseller Industry Awards 2012 Mainstreet was voted WINNER of Independent Bookseller of the Year 2012. The judges commented, "This is a local bookshop with a national reputation and the values and qualities of a world-class retailer."
The Telegraph Best Small Shops Awards 2012 - WINNER Best Bookshop - Lorna Bradbury, Telegraph Magazine Deputy Literary Editor and a judge in the Telegraph Magazine Shop Awards, said: “Here you will find an eclectic collection of books, carefully selected and elegantly displayed. But you will also find a bustling cafe – and a vast, and growing, programme of events. The thing that really sets this bookshop apart is its personal touch. The books are displayed on large tables, allowing for more of a curated selection than is usually possible.”
- Telegraph Best Small Shops - Best Bookshop 2012
- Independent Bookseller of the Year 2012
- Scottish Independent Bookseller of the Year 2011 & 2012
- Independent Retailer of the Year 2011 - Scottish Borders Business Excellence Awards
- Children's Independent Bookseller of the Year 2010 - The Bookseller Industry Awards
- New Business of the Year 2010 - Scottish Borders Business Excellence Awards
- Shortlisted for Scotland and the North Independent Bookseller of the Year 2010
- Shortlisted (and Highly Commended) for Independent Bookseller of the Year 2009 (Bookseller Retail Awards) and The Scottish Countryside Alliance Rural Enterprise Award 2009
- Shortlisted for Scottish Independent Bookshop of the Year 2009 (The British Book Awards)
'The Judges loves the energy and innovation at the heart of this bookshop in the Scottish Borders which began in June 2008 and is already achieving great things. "From a standing start, they have built an incredibly professional business," enthused one judge. The store's family-friendly layout, lively front-of-house children's area, free storytelling for pre-schoolers and the numerous author events were just some of the store's praiseworthy achievements." ' The Bookseller magazine