Sue’s Vegan Jammy Biscuits
Blog · Posted June 19, 2023
Sue is giving us a rare opportunity to replicate her delicious biscuits at home.
Mainstreet regulars will know just how brilliant Sue is and all of the wonderful cakes that she makes. You will also know that she keeps recipes close to her chest…
However, she has willingly decided to share her delicious Vegan Jammy Biscuit recipe with you all! Perfect to have with a cup of tea/coffee and to make for the kids in your life, or just to help you take a trip down memory lane when you ate the classic childhood favourite Jammy Dodgers.
350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
140g dairy-free margarine
100g brown sugar
3tbs golden syrup
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Seedless raspberry/strawberry jam
A pinch of salt
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 2 and grease two baking sheets.
- Mix together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the margarine, golden syrup and vanilla extract.
- Slowly fold the flour mixture into the margarine mixture and then stir to combine/use your hands until it comes together to form a dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge to chill for a minimum of 30 minutes (it can stay in there for a couple of days if you would like to save yourself the trouble of eating a whole batch of biscuits in one go!)
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until it is approx. 3mm thick. Using a cookie cutter (whatever shape you would like) cut out as many shapes as you can. Using a very small cookie cutter, or sharp knife, cut out the middle of half of the shapes (this is where the jam will show through).
- Bake the biscuits for 8-12 minutes (or slightly golden). You want them to be cooked through but not too browned.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool on their baking sheets for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a wire rack with a spatula to cool completely.
- Once they have fully cooled, spread the whole biscuits with your chosen jam. Place the biscuits with the middle cut out of them on top, letting the jam peek through. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve (to yourself or, if you are being generous, to a friend)!